Friday, March 26, 2010

Still thinkin' about Grandma

I was lucky growing up. (Putting these thoughts in words, I realize I am also very lucky now for very similar reasons.)I was surrounded by great people. I had great friends. I was part of an amazing youth program. I loved and still love many of the people I knew then. Janel Jeppson was one of my very best friends. I will not bore you with, nor divulge ANY details, but my grandma loved her too.



Last night I was reading a book of my grandma's poetry. I came across this poem titled, "Janel Jeppson."

Once in a while it appears to be
That life is a series of storms.
That our personal climate is "winter" alone,
And wind, snow and sleet, the norms.

Like Jan---is forever----uary,
Like bleak cold is all they allow.
(What nut said California was Sunny?
It's as black as the inside of a cow!!!)

But know, Dear Janel, pretty lady,
That God who is infinitely wise
Has provided for each January
a thaw and a crystal sunrise.

Trust Him whose love is eternal,
Who watches and cares for you,
To help and sustain in your troubles
And make all your skies turn to blue.

-Elayne Reid January 26, 1987

That was written for Janel around when she hurt her hip. See, my grandma loved me and my friends!!!! Years have gone by, we have married, moved, Janel grew up, we've both started families, we both have loved and even lost. I know that part of who I am today is the result of great friends like Janel and a loving grandmother who took such an amazing interest in our lives.

2 comments:

Kate A said...

Wow! I've always loved that poem, and Janel! :) It's so true how the people in our lives shape us forever...

Sweet words, thanks Lu!

Janel said...

wow, i don't even know what to say--that was beautiful! not only was that poem written around when i had my hip surgery, it was also written on my birthday...what a sweet grandma she was to think of me, amazing. So glad I had YOU and her and the rest of your family in my life, so many wonderful memories. Love you Kari!!